Published November 1995, 86 pp. c.45 illus; ISSN 1360-5550.
Sorry, this is now out of print. However it is available in pdf format.
Anna Ritchie: ‘Meigle and lay patronage in the 9th and 10th centuries AD’.
John Sherriff: ‘Prehistoric rock-carving in Angus’.
Derek Hall: ‘Pre-Burghal St. Andrews’.
Charles Falconer: ‘Excavations at Marketgate/Ladybridge, Arbroath’.
James Mackenzie: ‘Excavations at the Star Garage, Montrose’.
Derek Hall: ‘Excavations at St Nicholas Farm, St. Andrews, 1986-7’.
David Easton: ‘The survival of Industrial remains in Fife, from OS maps to survey’.
Published November 1996, 129 pp. c.71 illus; ISSN 1360-5550.
Sorry, this volume is now out of print, but the separate articles are now available in pdf format by clicking on the links below.
Gordon Ewart, David Stewart and Andrew Dunn:‘Preston Island: archaeological research and excavations’.
John Sherriff: ‘A medieval burial from Tangleha’, Kincardine’.
Colin & Paula Martin: ‘Vernacular pottery manufacture in Cupar, Fife’.
Trevor Cowie, Mark Hall, Brendan O’Connor and Richard Tipping: ‘The Late Bronze Age hoard from Corrymucklock, near Amulree, Perthshire’.
Russel Coleman: ‘Excavations at the Abbot’s House, Dunfermline’.
Fraser Hunter: ‘Recent Roman Iron Age metalwork finds from Fife and Tayside’.
Derek Hall: ‘Scottish Medieval Pottery Industries’.
Published November 1997, 215pp. 7 colour plates, c.25 illus; ISSN 1360-5550.
Edwina Proudfoot: ‘Short Cist burials from Fife’
Margaret Stewart & Gordon Barclay: ‘Excavations in burial and ceremonial sites of the Bronze Age in Tayside’ (1)
John Sherriff: ‘An early Bronze Age metalworker’s mould from Angus’
Brendan O’Connor & Trevor Cowie: ‘Bronze Age metalwork from Kinnoull, Perth’
Philip Freeman: ‘Excavations at Craigie Hill, Fife, 1991’
Stephen Driscoll: ‘A Pictish settlement in NE Fife: Excavations at Easter Kinnear’
James Mackenzie & Colm Moloney: ‘Medieval development and the cemetery of the Church of the Holy Trinity, Logies Lane, St Andrews’
David Cowley: ‘Archaeological Landscapes in Strathbraan, Perthshire’
Russel Coleman & David Perry: ‘Moated Sites in Tayside and Fife’
Adrian Cox and Michael King: ‘Recent Medieval metalwork finds from East Fife’
Graeme Heddle & Robert Morris: ‘Charles Hill gun battery’
Published November 1998, 326pp. 7 colour plates, c.150 illus; ISSN 1360-5550.
Volume 4 is now out of print. Articles may be downloaded here:
Published November 1999, 202pp. 7 colour plates, c.83 illus. In print.
Still a few copies left in stock but will soon be out of print. Individual articles can be downloaded in pdf format here:
Published November 2000, 238pp, c. 107 illus. In print.
Gordon Barclay: ‘Croft Moraig Reconsidered’.
Kenneth Brophy: ‘Excavations at Milton of Rattray, Blairgowrie’.
Derek Alexander: ‘Investigation of a cropmark enclosure at West Mains, Lunan Bay, Angus’.
Colm J Moloney: ‘Excavations at 16 Wishart Avenue, Montrose’.
Mike Roy and Graeme Brown: ‘Excavations at 27-35 Panmure Street/72-78 Murraygate, Dundee’.
Graeme Brown and Julie Roberts: ‘Excavations in the medieval cemetery of the city churches, Nethergate, Dundee’.
Mike Roy and Charles Falconer: ‘Excavations at 110 High Street, Perth’.
Ray Cachart: ‘Excavations at 106-110 South Street, St Andrews’.
David Bowler, David Perry & Mike Middleton: ‘Clearance and survey at Edzell Old Church, Angus’.
Mark Hall, Katherine Forsyth, Isabel Henderson, Ian Scott, Ross Trench-Jellicoe and Angus Watson: ‘Of Making and Meanings: towards a cultural biography of the Crieff Burgh cross, Strathearn, Perthshire’.
Anne Crone, Richard Fawcett and Mark Hall: ‘A group of Late Medieval carved wooden panels in Perth Museum and Art Gallery: Provenance and Date’.
Coralie Mills: ‘Dendrochronology of oak timbers from historic buildings in St Andrews’.
John Sullivan: ‘Lead Seals of Russian Origin in Fife’.
Alex Darwood: ‘East Neuk Milestones’.
Published November 2001, 161pp. c. 69 illus. In print.
Trevor Cowie and Mark Hall: `Late Bronze Age metalwork from Scottish rivers: a rediscovered sword from the River Forth near Cambus, Clackmannanshire, in its wider context’.
Heather James: `Excavations at Kingsbarns, Fife, in 1997-8: an Iron Age short cist burial, prehistoric pits and a buried eighteenth century bridge within the designed landscape of Cambo’.
Heather James and Paul Duffy: `Archaeological investigation on the Tarvit to Balmullo water pipeline route, Fife’.
Gordon Barclay: `The excavation of an early medieval enclosure at Upper Gothens, Meikleour, Perthshire’.
Colin Macleod and Ben Wilson: `Did a beaked whale inspire the “Pictish Beast”?’
Colm Moloney and Louise Baker: `Evidence for the form and nature of a medieval burgage plot in St Andrews: An archaeological excavation on the site of the Byre Theatre, Abbey Street, St Andrews’.
Stephen Carter: `A reassessment of the origin of the St Andrews “garden soil”.
Christopher Lowe: `The distribution and survival of medieval and later deposits in the medieval burgh of Crail, Fife’.
Timothy Holden, Howard Murray and Christopher Lowe: `The King’s Mills, Crail’.
Ray Cachart and Adrian Cox: `Archaeological excavation at the White Church, Comrie’.
Stuart Farrell: `Fife gravestones: a personal view’.
Iain Fraser: `Three Perthshire Water Meadows: Strathallan, Glendevon and Bertha’.
Published November 2002, 211pp. c. 120 illus. In print.
Gordon J Barclay and Caroline Wickham-Jones: ‘The investigation of some lithic scatters in Perthshire’.
Stuart Halliday: ‘Excavations at a Neolithic enclosure at Castle Menzies, Aberfeldy, Perthshire’.
Kirsty Cameron: ‘The excavation of Neolithic pits and Iron Age souterrains at Dubton Farm, Brechin, Angus’.
Russel Coleman and Fraser Hunter: ‘The excavation of a souterrain at Shanzie Farm, Alyth, Perthshire’.
Archie Dick: ‘Trial excavation of a souterrain at Fletcherfield, Strathmore, Angus’.
Erika B Guttman: ‘Time and tide at East Wemyss: excavations on the foreshore 1980-1995’.
David Bowler: ‘Excavation and watching brief in Dunino churchyard, Fife’.
Derek W Hall: ‘Scottish White Gritty Ware from antiquarian excavations in Tentsmuir Forest, Fife’.
Michael Roy: ‘Excavation of the south-western bastion of Cromwell’s citadel on the South Inch, Perth’.
Adrian Cox: ‘The archaeology of a walled garden at Kinross House’.
Paula Martin: ‘Salt-water fish ponds in Fife’.
Coralie M Mills: ‘The Granary, Elie Harbour, Fife: a contribution to the development of dendrochronology in Scotland’.
Published November 2003, 139pp. c. 96 illus. In print.
Lisbeth M Thoms: ‘Nicholas Q Bogdan and David W Taylor an appreciation’.
Michael Cressey, Alastair Rees & Susan Dawson: ‘Radiocarbon determinations on marine shell from Inchture, Perth and Kinross’.
Alex Hale: ‘Prehistoric rock carvings in Strath Tay’.
Catherine McGill: ‘The excavation of a palisaded enclosure and associated structures at Ironshill East, near Inverkeilor, Angus’.
RJ Strachan, JE Hamilton & AJ Dunwell: ‘Excavation of cropmark enclosures in Angus at Mains of Edzell, Edzell, and Hawkhill, Lunan’.
Kirsty Cameron: ‘A new investigation at West Grange of Conan souterrain’.
Simon Stronach: ‘Archaeological evidence for the evolution of medieval South Street, Perth’.
Derek W Hall: ‘Medieval pottery from the Overgate, Dundee, and three vessels from the walls of a building on the Nethergate, Perth’.
Graeme Brown & Jonathan Miller: ‘An archaeological investigation at Dunlappie Parish church, Edzell, Angus’.
Iain Fraser: ‘Cortachy Sacrement House’.
John R Sherriff: ‘South Leckaway: an early 18th-century farmhouse in Kinnettles, Angus’.
Alex Darwood & Andrew M Sherriff: ‘Apotropaic markings and spiritual middens in a house at 21 Shore Street, Anstruther, Fife’.
Published November 2004, 161pp. c. 69 illus; ISSN 1360-5550.
This volume is now out of print, but most of the articles are now available in pdf format by clicking on the links below.
Kenneth Brophy and Gordon J Barclay: ‘A rectilinear timber structure and post-ring at Carsie Mains, Meikleour, Perthshire’.
David Strachan: ’A Late Bronze Age logboat from the Tay estuary at Carpow, Perth and Kinross’.
Published November 2005. In print.
Ronald Baird ‘The Roman road at Woodlea, Greenloaning, Perthshire: excavations in 1997/8’.
David Wooliscroft ‘A possible Roman road cutting at Innerpeffray Library, Perthshire’.
Chris Fyles, Julie Roberts and Derek Hall ‘Watching brief on environmental improvements around St John’s Kirk, Perth’.
Richard Fawcett and Derek Hall ‘The Perth Charterhouse’.
Derek Hall and Simon Chenery ‘New evidence for early connections between Scotland and Denmark? The chemical analysis of medieval greyware pottery from Scotland’.
Anne Crone ‘A tale of three tuns: a 12th century French barrel from the High Street, Perth’.
Mark Hall ‘A Renaissance carved figurative wooden panel from Bridgend, Perth’.
Mark Hall ‘John of Stratherne and Alan Muschamp: two medieval men of Strathearn and their seal matrices’.
Bruce Glendinning and David Perry ‘Archaeological excavation and recording at 16-18 and 22 Exchange Street, Dundee’.
Adrian Cox and David Perry ‘Sculptured stones in Balgay Park, Dundee’.
David Bowler ‘ Survey of WWII remains at Findo Gask Airfield, Clathymore, Perth and Kinross’.
Published November 2006. 125pp. In print.
Simon Stronach, Alison Sheridan and David Henderson, ‘A bronze age cremation cemetery at North Straiton, Fife’.
Sue Anderson and Alastair Roy Rees, ‘The excavation of a large double-chambered souterrain at Ardownie Farm Cottages, Monifieth, Angus’.
David Cowley and David Strachan, ‘Upper Glendevon: the archaeology of a reservoir’.
Nick Dixon and Matthew Shelley, ‘Perthshire Crannog Survey 2004’.
Fraser Hunter, ‘Recent finds from Strageath Roman fort’.
Derek Hall, ‘’”Unto yone hospital at the tounis end”: the Scottish medieval hospital’.
Adrian Cox, ‘Archaeological building survey and excavation at Cottown Old Schoolhouse’.
George Haggarty, ‘A gazetteer and summary of recorded French pottery imported into Scotland c 1150 to c 1650: a ceramic contribution to Scotland’s economic history’.
Published November 2007. 217pp. In print.
Isobel M Hughes: ‘Introduction’.
Martin Cook: ‘Early Neolithic ritual activity, Bronze Age occupation and Medieval activity at Pitlethie Road, Leuchars, Fife’.
Hilary and Charlie Murray: ‘The excavation of a disturbed Bronze Age cemetery at Ethiebeaton, Angus ‘.
Kirsty Cameron, Alastair Rees, Andrew Dunwell and Sue Anderson: ‘Prehistoric pits, Bronze Age roundhouses, an Iron Age promontory enclosure, Early Historic cist burials and medieval enclosures along the route of the A92, Dundee to Arbroath’.
Brendan O’Connor: ‘Two Late Bronze Age socketed axes from Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, and similar lost axes from northern Britain’.
John Lewis: ‘Excavations at Bogleys Standing Stone, Kirkcaldy, Fife’.
Catriona Gibson and Chris Stevens: ‘Iron Age and Pictish activity at Wemyss Caves, Fife’.
John Borland, Iain Fraser and John Sherriff: ‘8 socketed stones from Eastern Scotland’.
Adrian Cox et al: ‘Excavations at the Horse Cross, Perth’.
Published November 2008. 217pp. In print.
Rachel Benvie: ‘Introduction’
Rebecca Jones and Gordon Maxwell: ‘A horseman riding by: Archaeological discovery in 1754’.
Martin Cook: ‘An early Christian vallum in Dunning?’.
Christopher Fyles: ‘Excavations at School Road, Abernethy’.
Ray Cachart: ‘Excavations at Kinross’.
Thomas Rees, Douglas Gordon and Alan Matthews: ‘Excavations within the graveyard of the Holy Trinity, St Andrews, Fife’.
Stuart Farrell (ed): ‘Monimail Tower: Its History, Architecture and Archaeological Investigations 1983-2000’.
Ted Cowan: ‘Scottish History Competing pathways to the Past’.
Published November 2009. 115pp. In print.
Ross White and Phil Richardson: ‘Prehistoric pit clusters and a rectilinear enclosure at Newton Road, Carnoustie, Angus’.
Alistair Rees: ‘The excavation of an unenclosed settlement and an Early Historic multiple burial and metalworking area at Hawkhill, Lunan Bay, Angus’.
Ian Suddaby and Sue Anderson: ‘A later medieval enclosure with associated field system, broad rig and aqueduct at Newton Farm, Carnoustie, Angus’.
John Lewis: ‘Excavations at Newark Castle, St Monans, Fife’.
Dan Atkinson, Elizabeth Jones, Morag Cross and Jacqueline Mulcair: ‘Garlet: rediscovery of a laird’s house in Clackmannanshire’.
Published November 2010. In print.
Helena Gray and Ian Suddaby: ‘A possible Neolithic structure and other features at Balcathie Fram, Elliot, Angus’
Stuart Mitchell, Sue Anderson and Melanie Johnson, ‘The excavation of a multi-period site at Alloa, Clackmannanshire’
Sarah Winlow, ‘Two new dates from two old investigations: a reconsideration of The Womens Knowe, Inchtuthil and Kingoodie long cist cemetery, Invergowrie’
John Lewis and Sam Scott, ‘Excavations at Balmerino Farm Steading, 1996-2007’
Published November 2011. In print.
Chris O’Connell: ‘An oval enclosure at Burnside, Blairgowrie’
Trevor Cowie, Mark Hall, Peter Northover and Brendan O’Connor: ‘A Middle Bronze Age dirk from the River Tay at Friarton, Perth’
Trevor Cowie, Barbara Armbruster and Susanna Kirk: ‘A Middle Bronze Age gold ring from near Falkland, Fife’
Murray Cook: ‘Maiden Castle, Insch, Aberdeenshire: choice and architecture in Pictland’
Hilary and Charlie Murray: ‘Excavations at the Bishop’s Palace, Brechin’
Derek Hall, Richard Oram and Kevin Malloy: ‘A hunting we will go? Stirling University’s Deer Parks Project’
Alison Bailey and Tamlin Barton: ‘Excavations at Alloa Tower, Clackmannanshire’
Gordon Barclay: ‘The Scottish Command Line: the archaeology and history of a 1940 anti-tank ‘stop-line’’
Published November 2012. In print.
Melanie Johnson: ‘Urned burial cremations at Carlinwell standing stone, Airlie, Angus’
Lindsay Dunbar: ‘Unenclosed Middle Bronze Age settlement and Early Historic pits at Cliffburn Road, Arbroath, Angus’
Murray Cook: ‘The altered earth: excavations at Hill of Barra, Oldmeldrum, Aberdeenshire’
Edward Bailey and Andrea Smith: ‘The excavation of Neolithic, Bronze Age and early Historic features at Powmyre Quarry, Strathmore, Angus’
Peter Morris: ‘ Geophysical surveys at Coupar Angus Abbey’
Philip Dunshea: Carn Droma and the highland watershed’
Lindsay Farquharson: ‘Repair and maintenance of historic bridges’
Published 1st November 2014. In print.
Lisbeth Thoms and Stratford P Halliday: ‘Survey and excavation at two prehistoric hut-circles in Tulloch Field, Enochdhu, Strathardle, Perthshire; with an evaluation of their research and regional contexts’
Laura Bailey: ‘Excavation and survey in advance of the Griffin Wind Farm, Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross’
Magnus Kirby: ‘Keir Wood Fort: A Lowland Defensive Earthwork in Devilla Forest, Kincardine, Fife’
Ray Cachart and Derek Hall: ‘Early Christian long cists at Pitkerro, Drumsturdy Road, Dundee and Market Knowe, Longforgan’
Erlend Hindmarch: ‘Excavation at Fortingall’
Christina Donald with contributions by Graeme Cavers and David Clarke: ‘Adding a new dimension to Dundee’s carved stones Heritage Lottery Fund’
John Gilbert: ‘Falkland Park to c1603’
David Perry with contributions by Derek Hall and Richard Jones: ‘The Dundee Sugar House, Seagate, Dundee’
Rachel Faulkner-Jones: ‘Experiments with the replica Friarton Dirk’
Donna Hawthorne, Mike Roy and Jake Streetfeild-James: ‘Crab apple processing: the contents of an isolated Neolithic pit at Courthill Farm, Inverkeilor, Angus’
Ian Hill: ‘Excavations at land south of Gardyne Street, Friockheim, Angus’
Derek Hall and Kevin Malloy: ‘Always chasing deer’ – further excavations at the deer parks of Buzzart Dykes and Kincardine Park and new excavations at Kincardine Castle in 2013’
Catherine Smith, Derek Hall, Vanessa Habib, Clare Thomas, George Haggarty and Michael Hughes: ‘Keeping a close watch: pottery, faunal remains and artefacts from Perth Watching Briefs’
Christopher Fyles: ‘Monitoring the refurbishment of Kindrochit Castle, Aberdeenshire’
Louise Turner and Claire Williamson ‘Inheritance, entitlement and a sense of place: a study of two Perthshire farm steadings’